Changing Lives Martial Arts Scholarships
Our Objective at Changing Lives Martial Arts of Virginia Beach and Chesapeake is to offer up to one scholarship program per quarter to new incoming students. We believe in giving back to our community and those that reside within the Hampton Roads area. Scholarship Applications will be reviewed on a first come, first serve basis. Awards will be made by the Changing Lives Martial Arts Scholarship Committee, which consists of the Changing Lives Martial Arts Academy Operational Manager, Team Trainer and the Chief Instructor. From the calendar year of January to December of each year Changing Lives Martial Arts Academy awards up to four Leadership Program scholarships (one year) valued at two thousand six hundred and thirty five dollars. ($2,635.00) per scholarship.
Changing Lives Martial Arts Scholarships Awards
1. INSTRUCTOR ACHIEVEMENT SCHOLARSHIP AWARD: The Changing Lives Martial Arts Instructor Achievement Award provides assistance for those instructor students, both junior and adult who desire to train, instruct, coach and pass on the knowledge received as a student to others fellow students.
2. STATE-DISTRICT-WORLD CHAMPION SCHOLARSHIP AWARD: The Changing Lives Martial Arts Athletic Achievement Award provides assistance for exceptional students both juniors and adults championship competitors ages 15 to 29 who desire to train and compete martial art tournaments within the organization.
3. COMMUNITY OUTREACH SCHOLARSHIP AWARD: The Changing Lives Martial Arts Community Outreach Scholarships are a need-based scholarship that for prospective students with low incomes and/or financial difficulties. This scholarship requires documentation of financial difficulty that is required.
Changing Lives Martial Arts Scholarship Qualifications
1. To be eligible, you must be a U.S. citizen and a resident of the Hampton Roads Area. All High school and college students are required to have an overall grade point average of 2.5 or greater.
2. Applicants must have never been convicted of drug possession or distribution.
3. Applicants will be required to commit to training three times per week for the length of the agreement.
Changing Lives Martial Arts Scholarship Requirements
1. All Scholarship awards are determined on a case-by-case basis. Applicants must are required to submit the following criteria for review by the scholarship committee.
2. 1) completed application, 2) letters of recommendation, 3) personal essay.
3. Changing Lives Martial Arts and its instructors do not discriminate on the basis of race, gender, age, disability, creed, national origin, or any other basis prohibited by applicable law.
Changing Lives Martial Arts Scholarship Submission
1.SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION SUBMISSION: Complete the appropriate Changing Lives Martial Arts Scholarship Application. Please indicate which scholarship(s) are being applied for at this time.
2.LETTERS OF RECOMMENDATION: Please include at least three letters of recommendation with your application. Letters of recommendation from persons who can attest to their character and support the grounds for submission of the application.
3.PERSONAL ESSAY: Write a personal essay about why you want to join CHANGING LIVES MARTIAL ARTS and why you deserve to receive a scholarship. Indicate your objectives and be as thorough as possible. You may want to include information about your educational, athletic, career, and personal goals. Demonstrate your talent by writing about any special interests or circumstances that you may wish the Changing Lives Martial Arts to consider. If you are applying for the Community Outreach Scholarship, please explain your financial difficulty. Feel free to use any essay format with which you feel comfortable. You may type a maximum of two double-spaced pages only.
Educational Scholarship Program
In addition to Changing Lives Martial Arts Scholarship, ATA offers an education scholarship.
In 1992 under the direction of Tim O’Brien, the American Taekwondo Association established the H. U. Lee Scholarship Foundation to honor its founder, Eternal Grand Master H.U. Lee. He was an extraordinary man and visionary who committed his entire life to making the world a better place through education, respect, and philanthropy. He had a love for people, especially children, and through his international martial arts organization, he helped make their dreams a reality.
The H.U. Lee Scholarship Foundation is a private, 501 © 3 non-profit organization dedicated to the promotion of respect, discipline, and courtesy through the martial art of Taekwondo. For over 10 years, the Foundation has helped more than 50 young adults across the United States continue their education.
Eligibility Requirements for the National Scholarship
Applicants will be considered if they are current high school seniors who:
4. Will graduate from an accredited high school with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale;
5. Have received a letter of acceptance form to an accredited U.S. college to pursue full time study beginning no later than September 30th;
6. Have taken the SAT and/or ACT educational tests and received a minimum combined score of 1100 and/or 27, respectively;
7. Exemplify the skills obtained through the American Taekwondo Association such as discipline and perseverance;
8. Have registered with the Selective Services, if required;
9. Have never been convicted of drug possession or distribution;
10. Submit a complete application, along with a sealed copy of their high school transcripts, including the signature of their school’s director of admissions across the envelope;
11. Submit two (no more than two) letters of recommendation from persons who can attest to their character;
12. Submit an essay (up to 500 words)
“For years and years, my father gave selflessly to those in need across the world. Now, it is our turn to give back in the name of our Eternal Grand Master, the late Haeng Ung Lee. Through his motto, ‘Today Not Possible, Tomorrow Possible’ he taught us to embrace and seize the future with faith, hope, and tenacity to see our dreams come to fruition.”
– L. Taekwon Lee
2005 H.U. Lee Memorial Foundation Scholarship Applications will be available April 2005 and can be obtained through your instructor.
For more information on the H.U. Lee Foundation and how you can help, please contact Julie Hopkins at 501-568-2821 x 2298